The Dolls House was built in the mid 1970’s by William Cave Howard (1905-1990).  Its materials are distinctly 1970’s while the design and proportions reflect a more Georgian Persuasion.

Initially the Dolls House lived in Adelaide and was used by children to act out real and imagined stories and as a space in which to play games.  In 2002 The Dolls House moved to Melbourne, but it was not until March 2004 that it took on its current role as a not-for-profit gallery space.

Situated in a shop window in the inner north of Melbourne, this miniature gallery exhibits site specific installations which engage with the inherent readings, challenges and opportunities presented by its scale and form. The accessibility of both the shop window and the Dolls House, as a site of play and fantasy, invites anyone and everyone to pause for a moment and look through its four rooms.

This work continues Hamilton’s ongoing investigations into photography’s ability to make space, crossing the boundaries between object and image. She is interested in working at the intersection of sculpture and photography, by bringing photography into sculptural space as well as placing sculptural objects into the space of the photograph. Her work probes the disparities between the observed and the recorded: the camera’s view comparative to our experiential, visual observations.